The first fully post Walt Disney movie came out in November of 1973. Robin Hood which had been tossed around as an idea for years finally made its debut once they decided to make the show star animals instead of people.
It was a commercial success and should be remembered as one of the classic Disney films, but due to the overshadowing of Walt dying, the success of movies before such as Cinderella and Jungle as well as success of movies after like Lion King and Beauty and the Beast, it is not a highly prioritized IP.
The lack of Walt’s influence is felt in the music specifically. In the action scenes rather than cleverly choreographed scenes with classic music, we are treated to fairly generic cartoon action music. The art style is similar to the other films during this time frame with some nice artistic backgrounds that show up between a few scenes.
The story behind Robin Hood is a bit deeper than most of the films up to this point with a few notable exceptions. But at the same time, it feels a bit like three different short stories all starring Robin Hood were tied together. This has been a complaint of mine up to this point so it isn’t a big surprise.
Run Time – 83 Minutes
46th Academy Awards – 1 Nomination – 0 Wins
Best Song – Love - Nominated
Disney Animated Canon so far in order of Quality
1. Lady and the Tramp 6-22-1955
2. Peter Pan 2-5-1953
3. One Hundred and One Dalmatians 1-25-1961
4. Dumbo 10-23-1941
5. Cinderella 2-15-1950
6. Pinocchio 2-7-1940
7. Sleeping Beauty 1-29-1959
8. The Adventure of Ichabod and Mr. Toad 10-5-1949
9. The Jungle Book 10-18-1967
10. Robin Hood 11-8-1973
11. Make Mine Music 4-20-1946
12. Fun and Fancy Free 9-27-1947
13. The Aristocats 12-11-1970
14. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs 12-21-1937
15. Saludos Amigos 8-24-1942
16. The Sword in the Stone 12-25-1963
17. Alice in Wonderland 7-26-1951
18. Melody Time 5-27-1948
19. Bambi 8-13-1942
20. Fantasia 11-13-1940
21. The Three Caballeros 12-21-1944